Family and Improvers is run by Shoreham Sailing Club for the benefit of its members as a club activity and gives the opportunity for young and old to sail in club craft. The following guidelines are in place to enable the event to run and also meet the requirements of the Dangerous Sport Act and Shoreham Port requirements. A full risk assessment for water activities has been completed and is held by the Training Principal and logged with Shoreham Port. These guidelines are for parents / legal guardians who are responsible for their children at all times.
- All non-members must be accompanied by a Legal Guardian who must remain at SSC during the activity.
- All Cadet Members must be accompanied by a parent or legal carer who remains on site at SSC. If as a parent you are willing for another adult to be responsible for your child you must advise the club in writing before sailing. Non-members must have a legal carer on site.
- Cadets must be 8 years old to sail the Oppies. Under this age they must sail with a parent or legal carer at the discretion of the coordinator. His/her decision will be based on conditions of the day, craft and suitable skippers available.
- All Improvers that sail must be a paid-up member by the third visit in any 12 month period.
- All Cadets must be signed in and register before sailing.
- Suitable buoyancy aids and footwear must be worn while afloat and on the pontoon at all times. The safety boat skippers can refuse to take youngsters or adults afloat if the equipment worn is unsuitable or the incorrect size. It is recommended that Cadets who sail regularly purchase their own buoyancy aids.
Suitable clothing must be worn while afloat and it is recommended that heavy clothing (i.e. jeans) not be worn. It is recommended that Cadets wear wetsuits and appropriate shoes. The safety boat skippers can refuse to take youngsters or adults afloat if the clothing worn is unsuitable.